Friday, January 11, 2013

Training -- Fri 11/01/2013

Bench press assistance day.

Incline Bench Press

10x20kg
3x10x35kg

Press

10x20kg
3x10x22.5kg

Pull Ups

10xBW
3x5x6.125kg

Fat Gripz Row

4x15x30kg

DB Curl/Standing Triceps Extension

8x12.5/5x12.5kg
2x8x12.5kg/20x5kg

We had a talk in the gym at the end of my session about the use of bands for training. Obviously, I like band pull aparts, and I think they definitely have their place, although our focus was more on the use of bands on the competition lifts. I think there's definitely a valid reason for various lifters to be using bands on their squats, bench press and deadlifts, but I know that right now they'd do me (personally) more harm than good, because I have enough trouble getting technique right without them, and I'm fairly confident that my technique would go awol if I were to incorporate them into my main lifts at this point in time (once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, a CAPO powerlifter got me to try out the bench press with bands on the bar, and my bar control went out the window, so I'm not just pulling this hypothesis out of a crevice of my being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a 20' rusty halberd). As it stands, I don't think anyone in the gym uses bands on their main lifts, not even our 300kg deadlifter (we've "only" got 1 deadlift at 300kg up on the board as of yet, with most of the competitive powerlifters here being in the mid-200's). As an aside, I'm a long way off, but I hope to some day deadlift 300kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For reasons that are beyond me, I like to hear what people think, so please leave a comment and let's work together to trick random passers-by into thinking this blog is actually popular.