Saturday, January 5, 2013

Strengthcamp: "Beat Genetics - Maximize Potential"


This video by Elliot Hulse (Strengthcamp) helped me to clarify something just now that's blipped around the back of my mind here and there for the last several months.

People train to get something out of it. To look good. To be stronger. To be tougher. To be better at sport. To compete. They train as a means to an end.

I'm not one of those people.

I've decided to compete in powerlifting this year, and yes, my training is designed to get me stronger for it. But I'm not training so that I can powerlift. I'm getting into powerlifting to give me direction, so that I can train. Powerlifting is not the end, powerlifting is the means, training is the end.

I love training.

3 comments:

  1. I knew there was something strange about you.
    Fortunately it is the same thing that is strange about me. I love training and still class it as my main selfish pleasure.
    There is no sensible reason to train in as many different directions as I do simultaneously, other than enjoyment and desire to be good at many things people don't expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this were a facebook comment, I'd hit "like."

      It's generally accepted amongst society that I'm strange. I take a deep personal pleasure in knowing that people find me strange. The only downside is that if kids are still being taught "stranger danger," my future work as a teacher may be inherently failtastic, since even kids who've known me for 10 years will think I'm strange.

      Delete
  2. Strange good, normal dull. My son thinks of me as strange, and I am his key male influence.
    Teachers are supposed to be strange. Ironically some of the people who have grown up to be great teachers were the people in most trouble at school. One of the best I knew from my time at school confided in me as an adult that they had been expelled twice as a youngster and wanted to improve on the things that made his time there difficult.

    ReplyDelete

For reasons that are beyond me, I like to hear what people think, so please leave a comment and let's work together to trick random passers-by into thinking this blog is actually popular.