Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Rough Breakdown of the New Program

So, I've been training full-body for a long time, usually 3 das a week, although occasionally doing a 4th day, such as when I tried Smolov Jr. The program template I've been given for the time being is more or less an upper/lower split, with 4 sessions a week (2 upper, 2 lower).

Here's the rough layout:

Monday

Bench Press
Close Grip Bench Press
Heavy Row
Light Pull Ups
Arms and accessory work

Wednesday

Front Squat
Deadlift
Glute Ham Raise
Shrugs
Abs and calves

Friday

Incline Bench Press
Overhead Press
Weighted Pull Ups
Light Rows
Arms and accessory work

Saturday

Squats
Light Deadlift variation (I've been given RDLs as the recommendation, but I think I'll do speed pulls instead, since they don't make my shins bleed)
Accessory work (I think more calves and abs, and I might do some DB lunges, too)

This layout has me practicing the competition lifts once a week, and a lighter variation of those lifts once a week. The bench press gets special treatment, I guess, since there's 4 pressing variations throughout the week rather than just 2. My bench press needs a lot of work, though, so this probably isn't a bad thing.

For the main lifts, I'll be doing sets of 10, then eventually sets of 8, and finally sets of 5, before peaking for competition, which we're expecting to be in April. For most of the assistance exercises, it'll be higher reps (8-15), although weighted pull ups will be more like 3-8 reps for me, and if I go with speed pulls, they'll also be low reps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For reasons that are beyond me, I like to hear what people think, so please leave a comment and let's work together to trick random passers-by into thinking this blog is actually popular.