Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Smolov Jr, Day 6 -- Wed 12/12/12

Apparently we won't get fun matched dates like 12/12/12 again this century, but I'm sure I can do some sweet romantic matchmaking of numbers over the coming years with a little creativity.

So, it's Day 6. I'm not sure whether I'm on the train to awesome town at the moment, or if I'm on the train to suck town. Pros: I'm at the halfway mark and not dead. Cons: The muscle tear on the first day; the subsequent lack of squat sets in the first week, I'm progressively finding it harder to give enough of a rat's gluteus maximus to get adequately psyched up to lift with the right intensity, in a related vein the lack of rat rectories and psychitute is producing a lack of tightness and aggression in both the squat and bench press, and today something in the general area of my humerus (maybe rear delt, maybe rotator cuff, maybe triceps, maybe neurons, maybe the bone itself) was pretty keen on not moving the weight. I look forward to when this is over. I had a 100kg bench press on my Christmas list, now I just have not doing Smolov Jr on the list. Still, I'll persevere, and see what I learn from this wave of self-abuse.

Squats

10xBW
10x20kg
5x40kg
3x60kg
1x80kg
7x5x100kg

Bench Press

2x5x20kg
5x32.5kg
3x45kg
1x55kg
4x5x65kg -- My arms were saying no, but I kept finishing each set. After the 4th set, I thought: "Maybe I just need to man up and keep going." About 12 seconds later my arms had a cry, and I amended that thought to: "I'm going to unrack the bar now and do something else."

Assistance Work

Band Pull Aparts
4x10 spread out between sets of squats and bench press.

Lying Shoulder Extension
I stopped counting after the third set. My left lower trap needed the activation. Performed between sets of bench press.

RDL/Calf Raise/Cable Row/Decline Sit Up/Side Bridge (circuit)
2x12x70kg/2x15x280lb/1x15x50kg, 1x10+5x50kg/2x10/1x15, 1x10

All of a sudden, RDLs have an apparent fetish for making my shins bleed. This never used to happen, and I don't much appreciate it.

Maybe this is the solution. Not a very manly solution, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For reasons that are beyond me, I like to hear what people think, so please leave a comment and let's work together to trick random passers-by into thinking this blog is actually popular.